Tuesday, June 09, 2009

My experiments with Gita

Spirituality is something I have been dabbling in for the past 2 years. It all started with the realization that despite my being in a position to afford material luxuries and pleasures and not plagued with serious worries of any nature, the inner contentment and happiness was missing. There, definitely, were things that were not going my way and were the cause of my distress. The only consolation was the arrival of the day when these problems would fade away and then I would be happy again. But would I really be happy then? Wouldn't a new set of problems again take over making me not so happy again? Happiness and grief, as I realized to my horror, come bundled together. There will not be any phase in your life when you'll be just happy or just sad. So does the term called eternal happiness really exist? If yes, then how do we achieve it?
Realization of the spiritual self has helped me get some insight into these intruiging thoughts. We as human beings have two planes of existence - Material & Spiritual. I have become a bonded labour to my material self wherein my happiness and sadness in my material existence are driving my general state of mind. The way out is something that I found in Gita - it is one of the richest sources of spiritual wisdom that one can lay his hands on!!

"Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani"

You have a choice only over your action (karma) and not over the result of the action. Its good to desire a favorable result but one should not get attached to the result to the extent that only a favorable result will make one happy or content. Be unattached to your work, property, people, possessions... they belong to you but should not dictate your life or happiness...

The key here is the sense of detachment to your activities in the material plane of existence. Carry out all your activities but don't get too attached to the results, which are anyway, not in your hands. Don't let the success or failure here affect your general sense of well being which in reality is linked to something else.

Easier said than done!! But its never too late to start attempting this for the takeaways are great!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very well said !!!

Khushboo said...

Well written article

A person with more philosophical bent of mind, than spiritual, I feel happiness lies not in deprivation, but in doing all that which makes one happy.
Life is just one, and I feel one should do all the one feels like, to live life to the fullest.

Yes, but I do believe in karma, and have over the last few years tuned myself to ensure that I give my best rather than I be the best.
And that how I do away partially with my interest in results, but then it would be wrong to say, that I do, or would like to do anything more than this , for controlling my being attached to this materialistic world…

Eternal happiness is not my craving, cos I donot know what happens after life ends. I am keen to know what all I can get and give , while life exists.